Making a complaint is one way that allows organisations to learn lessons from its mistakes and to prevent them happening to anyone else.

How to make a complaint?

You can telephone, write or email the Customer Care service. Making a complaint will not put your care at risk.

What services can I complain about?

You can make a complaint to us about any CityCare services you have received in the Nottingham City area.  If we need to forward your complaint to another service we will ask for your consent before we do so.

Who can make a complaint?

You can make a complaint on your own behalf or on behalf of a child, or someone who has died.  If you have another person’s permission, you can complain on their behalf.

Is there a time limit for making a complaint?

Yes.  Your complaint should be made as soon as possible either within a year of the event or within a year of you realising that you have something to complain about.  However, if there are reasons why the complaint could not be made within these timescales, please discuss these with the Customer Care service.

Can I get help and support?

Yes. An organisation called POhWER can provide you with support and advocacy. You can contact POhWER in the following ways: Phone: 0300 020 0093 or email

What will happen once I make my complaint?

Complaints will be dealt with in a manner that is proportionate and appropriate to the issues raised. We will contact you to offer a range of suitable options to help resolve your complaint.  Your complaint will be investigated and the organisation responsible will aim to resolve the concerns and where needed take action to prevent the incident from happening again.  Making a complaint will not put your care at risk or adversely affect your future care.

Is it confidential?

Your rights to confidentiality will be respected throughout the investigation. However, there may be times when we need to share information without your consent e.g. to protect children and vulnerable adults. If your complaint involves a number of different services such as Hospitals, Mental Health Services, Social Care or General Practitioners we will work together to resolve your complaint. To do this we will need to share information, with your consent.

What if I am still not satisfied?

We aim to resolve all complaints. However, if you are dissatisfied please let us know and we may be able to look into the matter further.

Alternatively you have the right to take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is independent of government and the NHS. The service is confidential and free. There are time limits for taking a complaint to the Ombudsman, although this may be waived under certain circumstances. If you have any questions about whether the Ombudsman will be able to help you, or about how to make a complaint, you can contact their helpline on 0345 051 4033, email

Further information about the Ombudsman is available at You can write to the ombudsman at: The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London SW1P 4QP.

How do I contact the Customer Care service?

The Customer Care service can be contacted on 0115 88 39654, emailed at or write to Customer Care service, Nottingham CityCare Partnership, 1 Standard Court, Park Row, Nottingham NG1 6GN (please add your phone number so that we can contact you to discuss how you want your complaint handled). If you wish to meet with a member of the complaints team please call for an appointment.

If you would like complaints information in another language or format such as Large Print, Easy Read or Braile, please contact the Customer Care service on 0115 88 39654.