Homeless Health Team
Aims and objectives of service
The aim of the Homeless Health Service is to offer comprehensive health assessment, appropriate treatment and stabilisation for citizens, including case management for people with long term conditions including a range of mental and physical healthcare and health assessments to homeless citizens, delivered by a team of specialist community nurses to determine their urgent and ongoing care needs.
Following assessment the team provide the appropriate acute nursing interventions to address the current health needs of the citizen and to identify any chronic conditions. Core services include:
- Clinical assessment and observations of physical and mental health needs
- Wound care (assessment and dressing inc’ leg ulcers/ compression bandaging)
- Non-medical prescribing and medicines administration i.e. Pabrinex
- Pregnancy testing and contraception
- Mental Health identification and response (liaising with GP/ Crisis Team/ Probation/ social care/ Housing Aid etc. to support a holistic approach to care.
The team also works closely with the local acute and mental health trusts (NUH and NHFT) to proactively identify homeless citizens and support their successful transfer of care into the community in liaison with hospital discharge co-ordinators.
Professionals within the service act as a specialist resources, offering the following support to health and social care colleagues:
- Offer specialist advice and support on issues affecting homeless citizens
- Attend link meetings for health workers who work with temporarily housed citizens
- Participate in the development with of local homelessness strategies
- Joint work with voluntary and statutory sector agencies
Days/hours of operation
The Homeless Health Service is available between 8.00am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.
The service shall operate an open referral / drop in service. Health and social care professionals seeking advice should contact the service directly
Opening hours and contact information
The Homeless Health Team can be contacted on Mon-Fri between 8.00am-5.00pm at:
The Meadows Health Centre
1 Bridgeway Centre
Tel. External: 0115 8831532
The service shall be accessible to anyone who can be defined as homeless and is living within the greater Nottingham area (Nottingham City; Nottingham North and East; Nottingham West and Rushcliffe).