The General Data Protection Regulation 2018/Data Protection Act 2018 gives you the right to access information that Nottingham CityCare holds about you.

This is known as a subject access request. The Access to Health Records Act 2002 gives rights to some individuals to access records for deceased patients – please see ‘Who can apply to access records?’ below for details.

Your rights in relation to your health records are fully described in the NHS Constitution:

and the Care Record Guarantee:

You can find out more about how CityCare uses your health records on our website:

Please note that we can only provide you with records relating to CityCare services, care and treatment. If you want access to GP or hospital or other provider records please contact the organisations concerned for assistance.

Download Application for Nottingham CityCare Partnership Health Records

  • The patient.
  • Anyone who has the patient’s written permission, for example, a relative or legal representative.
  • A parent or guardian of a person under 16. If a child is considered capable of making decisions about his/her medical treatment, the child’s permission must be provided before a person with parental responsibility can be given access.
  • A court appointed representative of someone who is unable to manage their own affairs.
  • Where the patient has died, the executor as named on the will or anyone having a claim resulting from the death may apply to see the records or part of them. We do still have a duty of confidentiality to people who have passed away and may not be able to disclose records if the patient asked for access to be restricted after their death.

  • A Health Care Professional can restrict access to information which may cause serious harm to your mental or physical health, or harm to someone else.
  • Old records may have been destroyed in accordance with NHS-recommended policy on how long records should be kept. Please contact us for advice if the latest date that you or the patient received care was 10 or more years ago.
  • Records which identify or relate to another person (“third party information”) may be redacted (blacked out or removed from the patient’s record before access is granted).

If you would like copies of your records, your request can either be in writing or verbal and there will be no fee.  Records will be sent to you by recorded delivery. You can write us a letter, use the application form (attached), ring us or just ask your care giver, whichever is easier for you. You will need to send supporting documentation, please see page 3 for full details.

If you are applying for access to records for another patient you will need to provide additional information, for example, their permission – please see pages 3 for full details.

There is no fee.

Please contact us for advice if you require any other information relating to your records, for example, letters to give to other public authorities or your workplace.

When we receive an application/request:

  • We check that the person applying/making the request has authority to access the records.
  • We ask the service to obtain copies of the records and approve for release. Wherever possible, your request will be passed to the person who provided your care.

We aim to make your records available to you within 1 calendar month of receiving your request.  Records will be posted to you by recorded delivery.

If you would like apply by email please email us at  Unfortunately we are unable to send health records by e-mail unless you have a fully secured e-mail account due to confidentiality.

If you have any questions you can contact the Access to Health Records team on tel:+0300 131 0300, or  

Aspect House
Aspect Business Park

26 Bennerley Way


  1. Whose records are you applying for? This person is the ‘subject’ of the request.
  2. What records are you applying for? It helps us to find your records faster if you can provide as much information as possible about care provided and location(s) that treatment took place. Please do not worry if you can’t remember or only have limited detail, we will still be able to respond within the timeframe.
  3. Are these your own records? No additional guidance.
  4. Declaration -Supporting information required for access to records, please provide copies, not original documentation. If you do not have the required documents please contact us for advice.

I am applying for access to my own records

  • Proof of identity – copy of driving licence, passport or birth certificate AND a copy of a utility bill, mobile phone contract or mortgage account/residential property rental or purchase agreement.

I am the patient’s parent. The patient is under 16 and is incapable of understanding the request.

  • Proof of your identity (copy of driving licence, passport or birth certificate).
  • Proof of parental responsibility (normally a child’s birth certificate which names you as the parent).

The patient has asked me to apply for their records, or is a child (under 16) who is capable of understanding this request (Fraser/Gillick competent)

  • Proof of identity for the patient (copy of driving licence, passport or birth certificate).
  • Proof of your identity (copy of driving licence, passport or birth certificate).
  • Written permission (consent) from the patient for you to access their records.
  • Only if you are a parent applying for a child’s records, proof of parental responsibility (normally a child’s birth certificate).

I have been appointed to manage the patient’s affairs

Documentary evidence of your authority to access the patient’s records i.e.

  • Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare (please note that Power of Attorney for Property and Financial Affairs does not grant authority to access health records).
  • Certificate of service or court order to act as a Litigation Friend
  • Court order/other – please contact us for advice if you’re not sure

I am the executor/administrator of the patient’s estate or I have a claim arising from the patient’s death.

  • Proof of your identity (copy of driving licence, passport or birth certificate).
  • Documentary evidence that you are the executor or administrator of the estate (grant of probate or letter of administration, or
  • Documentary evidence that you have a claim arising from the patient’s death.

We recognise that it is not always possible to provide supporting documentation for access to the records of deceased patients. We will try to meet your needs whilst still respecting the patient’s confidentiality, please contact the Access to Records team for support, details above and below.

Dragon Court
1 Woolsthorpe Close