We work within Nottingham City and provide care, support, information and education for patients, carers and their families in living with a palliative diagnosis.
Our aim is to promote independence, manage symptoms and to support the patient to make informed decisions regarding their care preferences, including place of care and death. The team will support the patient, staff and families to ensure their physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs are met.
The integrated team comprises of specially trained Palliative Care Nurses, Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist, Macmillan Cancer Nurse specialists, Macmillan GP Facilitator, Assistant Practitioners and Office Administrators. The team works closely with Nottinghamshire Hospice, Hayward House and a range of other palliative care service providers in Nottingham City. The team will support patients in all community settings. For many patients their needs can be effectively managed by GPs and neighbourhood teams. For those patients whose symptoms and needs are more complex, the Community Palliative Care Service will work in partnership with other services to effectively support these patients and their families.
To be referred to service you must be 18 years or over, registered with a GP in Nottingham City CCG and be a patient or carer who is experiencing symptoms or distress associated with a palliative care diagnosis. Some referrals may not require a visit and it may be appropriate for telephone advice only or signposting to other services. The input and involvement of the team will vary according to needs and complexity.
- Advice and support with advanced care planning
- Assistance and advice for hospital discharge facilitation or admission avoidance
- Psychological support for patients and families who are experiencing difficulty in accepting or coming to terms with the disease process or diagnosis.
- Support with rapid deterioration and transference, if appropriate, to their preferred place of death
- Provision of equipment or assessment to promote independence, optimise function or improve quality of life
- Terminal care where specialist advice or support is required to enhance the comfort of the patient and the family
Referrals can be made for patients who meet the service criteria can only be made by clinicians. Referrals can be made by F12 referral on Systm One, via Nottinghamshire Hospice on 0115 962 1222 or by contacting Nottingham Health and Care Point on 0300 131 0300 or using our online referral form.
Existing patients can contact the service on 0115 8834787